Sitecore 9 Update-1 came out so I decided it to have another go. I have gone through several Community tools and blog posts for helping with installing Sitecore 9 and think the approach outlined here is pretty quick and fairly simple.
It’s worth noting an alternative way to do this is to use Sif-less which uses SIF under the hood to install Sitecore but with a nice UI. However I decided to go with the standard Power shell install instead this time round.
- .Net Framework 4.6.2
- SQL Server 2016 SP1
- IIS 8.5 or higher
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.8 or higher
- Powershell v5.1 (you can check your version by using: $PSVersionTable.PSVersion)
- Web Deploy 3.6 for Hosted Servers (using Web Platform Installer)
Solr is required since Sitecore 9. Solr must be installed running SSL and for Sitecore 9 Update 1 Solr 6.6.2 is a requirement. I have used Low effort Solr Script as it downloads Solr 6.6.2 and installs it with NSSM with SSL enabled.
Just copy the gist below to your machine and save it as Install-Solr-Sitecore901.ps1.
Edit the following parameters:
- $solrVersion – It is Solr version. Here we are installing Solr 6.6.2 so don’t change version.
- $installFolder – It is a location where you want install the Solr
- $solrPort – It is port number on which you want to deploy Solr.
- $solrHost – It is a host name for Solr
- $nssmVersion – Set this to a user that has permissions to create databases, I used the ‘sa’ account
- $JREVersion – It is a Java run time version which installed on your machine.
- $JREPath – It is a path of Java run time.
PREPARATION FOR SITECORE
Prepare the files you need to install Sitecore 9 Update 1 to the correct location for the install.
- Create an install folder on your machine, I decided on “C:\Sitecore9-Install\”.
- Download the “Sitecore 9.0.1 rev. 171219 (WDP XP0 packages).zip” install file from here: https://dev.sitecore.net/
- Unzip the folder “Sitecore 9.0.1 rev. 171219 (WDP XP0 packages).zip”
- Copy “Sitecore 9.0.1 rev. 171219 (OnPrem)_single.scwdp.zip” and “Sitecore 9.0.1 rev. 171219 (OnPrem)_xp0xconnect.scwdp.zip” from the unzipped folder to “C:\Sitecore9-Install”
- Unzip “XP0 Configuration files 9.0.1 rev. 171219.zip’”and also copy the contents into: “C:\Sitecore9-Install\resources”
- Copy your Sitecore licence file into “C:\Sitecore9-Install”.
Finally install folder should look like below
INSTALL SITECORE 9 UPDATE 1 WITH SIF
Finally install Sitecore with SIF by following power shell script. Save the script to your machine as Install-Sitecore901-SIF.ps1 and run it with the correct admin permissions.
Edit the following paramaters:
- $prefix – It is a prefix used for Site name and database prefix.
- $PSScriptRoot – set this to your install folder location.
- $SolrUrl – Set this to the path of your Solr instance you installed at Solr Setup(https://solr-sc9:8983/solr)
- $SqlServer – It is SQL server name.
- $SqlAdminUser – It is a SQL user that has permissions to create databases, I used the “sa” account.
- $SqlAdminPassword – It is a password for the SQL user mentioned above
After successful installation, you can browse the Sitecore and Solr.